Welcome to Capital City Airport
Capital City Airport (FAA identifier CXY), is the general aviation airport of choice for the capital city of Harrisburg, and all of central Pennsylvania.
Originally called Capital Landing Field, the facility opened in mid-1930 and was Harrisburg's original commercial service airport. In 1934, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased the facility and renamed it Harrisburg-York State Airport. The airport provided air service to the capital region and was an intermediate stop on longer air routes, principally the route between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. During those years, scheduled commercial air service was provided by Transcontinental Airlines, TWA's predecessor, and Western Airlines.
During the 1940's, the airport continued in its role as the third largest airport in Pennsylvania and served an important role in the movement of war materials for the adjacent New Cumberland Army Depot, and as the site of the Naval Photographic Reconnaissance Training School. During the 1950's and 1960's, both air carrier service and the number of FBO's increased steadily until 1968 when Olmstead Air Force Base, located just across the river in Middletown, was closed and all scheduled commercial air service was transferred to newly named Harrisburg International Airport. It was at that time, that Capital City Airport received its current name and became the region's main general aviation airport.
Today, CXY has earned its place as the airport of choice for thousands of general aviation pilots and their passengers. Owned and operated by the Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority (SARAA), CXY is the designated reliever and sister airport of Harrisburg International Airport, and serves the business communities of Dauphin, Cumberland, and York counties. In addition, a study conducted by the PA Department of Transportation in 2000, concluded that CXY related activates generate nearly $24 million a year in total economic output into the regional economy.